Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Simply Being

Bittersweet . . . stillness . . . sadness . . . peace . . . contentment . . . joy . . . relaxing into the now, the present, the presence, a soft landing, a gentle glide on the calm surface of the lake. No distractions, no hiding, no running. Fear is present, but it just simply is; it doesn't really mean anything. There is a grace in it's presence.

I was listening to a recording by writer Natalie Goldberg last night. She was talking about how one never overcomes anything; one simply befriends it. I feel that way now; befriending all that is in each moment, allowing it to be. Somehow, it comforts each thought, each sensation, each emotion, caressing it, seeing it, feeling it.

Underneath, I feel a well of power, of strength, of clarity. That deep connection to essence, to spirit, to source, to self, to creation. It is like a deep surrender into a bed of outstretched arms, catching me as I fall backwards. No control, no forcing, no effort.

In the past, I had this idea that being powerful meant doing something, taking action, being strong. I'm discovering now that, at least for myself, it comes through surrendering, letting go, and being present.

I feel grateful tonight. For myself, for my life, for my friends, community, home, work, family, body, health, spirit, mind. Something new is arising. A new way of being. A new way of relating. A new way of living. A new way of loving.

I am grateful.

1 comment:

Anakha Coman said...

where's your damn blog boy-friend? i am getting tired of reading the same ol' one! write brother write!