Monday, February 25, 2008

Embodied Presence

There are many levels and faces of presence. Many people equate presence with "being here now," "being in the moment," and "showing up," among many other definitions.

One form of presence is about noticing what's true in the moment and being with it. Being aware of the body, of the breath, of emotions, of environment. Within that field, there are many degrees of presence. Noticing and awareness is one. Expressing or communicating what is noticed is another. Focusing on the moment is a third. And countless others . . .

I have practiced this form for many years. I am often aware of what I'm sensing/noticing, and can communicate it (save sometimes for certain intense moments when I freeze up). I am often able to be with what is happening and accept the truth of my experience in the moment. I can sit and meditate and find the stillness of the moment.

However, in this form, I find there is a disconnect; while I can notice and express, there is a way that it is limited to a mental experience. I can talk the talk, say the right words, tell the stories, but I am not necessarily felt, either by myself or another. My presence is seen, but not embodied.

Embodied presence is more than words; it is energy. It is the difference between saying that I'm angry and showing that I am angry. It is the difference between saying that I'm sad and crying. It is the difference between saying that I'm happy with a blank face and smiling broadly. One can feel the emotional state. Often, words aren't even needed.

This is the form I am practicing. It takes us beyond our minds and into our bodies. It brings forth clarity and directness. It is an extremely honest way of communicating (something like 70+% of all communication is non-verbal). When both the awareness and the embodiment are combined, we heal the disconnect between the masculine and the feminine. We become integrated. We can make clearer, healthier choices and take full responsibility for our actions. Otherwise, we end up acting out via the parts/emotions that we can't feel.

I had this experience today in a counseling session, moving back and forth between expressing rage (through hitting a pillow with a raquet) and terror (bowing my body backwards and wailing). The more I felt and expressed the emotion (rather than just notice it), the more connected to it I became. Energy began streaming through my body, and it became even more alive. The embodiment, the expression, brought the awareness to life. By the time I left, I was fully present. I was there, all of me. Presence showed through my body, not just my eyes and face. I felt myself and my aliveness, and I was felt by other.

This is the call of our spiritual evolution: to show up not just in awareness, but in body and being. To get beyond the mind and into the body. Through exercise. Through connecting with and expressing emotion. Through bodywork. Through allowing the abundant energy that surrounds us to flow through. Through fusing the spiritual, mental, and emotional bodies. Through breath. Through intention to show and express what's true in each moment. This is how we create true healing, integrate the disconnected aspects of our selves (and our world), and become fully alive. I invite you to join me.

No comments: